The state of Quintana Roo where Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Tulum, etc, are located is going to switch from the Central Time Zone to the Eastern Time Zone on Feb 1, 2015. This means we will jump ahead an hour and be one hour later than Minnesota, Chicago, and other Central time zone places. There is a rumor that there will be no daylight savings after the switch but I can’t confirm that. So be prepared.
If you want t know what is going on in town just go to our Plan Your Trip page and click on Calendar. http://www.abbeydelsol.com/calendar.html.
If you have been following the news about the tourist industry in the whole Caribbean you would have seen info about the massive seaweed invasion that is clogging beaches and resorts. We have not missed out, unfortunately. The poor little tractor that rakes up the seaweed every morning broke beyond repair back in September and we are trying to find ways to deal with the seaweed ever since. Many of us in town have chipped in to hire a private company but the cost is getting too much to keep up. The town will be having a meeting with the state and federal officials on Friday. Hopefully we will get some money from them to help out. But, for now, please be patient and understand that we can’t fight Mother Nature, we can only try working with her bad moods.
Check out this article from September 2014. Resorts in other parts of the Caribbean had to actually shut down so I guess we are lucky, at least we are all in business and having a great year here in dear little Puerto Morelos….despite the darn seaweed!
This year we have a new instructor doing yoga on the roof of the Abbey del Sol front building above the office. Melissa is a very talented body worker and yoga instructor. She does Thai massage as well as table massage. Her yoga teaching style is suitable to everyone, beginners or advance. We are experimenting with times and days. We have mats. For the winter season:
9:00 a.m. – 1 hour class
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
$10us or $120p per person
We are so proud of our office manager, Nancy Bermudez, for her two first place wins in the competitions at the swimming marathon in Bacalar.
Like many people in town Abbey del Sol began renovations and updating on 5 of our properties:
1. Casa Ricardo – new exterior paint and minor concrete repairs
2. Casa Anita – A second bathroom is being added off the main bedroom with a door to the pool area as well as into the bedroom. This will be done by June 15.
3. Casa Juanita – A pool in the front, an expanded patio in the back and a fourth apartment in the right corner of the property. Photos will be available later in August.
4. Buena Vida Suites – the old, rusty iron railing on the roof top patio has been replaced with a concrete and PVC combo that looks great. Due to the rain it hasn’t been painted yet but soon. The PVC will be painted to look like wood similar to what you see on the left side of the photo.
5. Abbey del Sol 2 – Huge new laundry and storage room on the second floor. Now that the old Abbey del Sol 1 has new owners and is renamed La Buena Vida Suites we have separated our laundry and storage process. We are putting a large, metal sun light fixture on the big blank wall. The third floor apartment, #11, now has the large patio and #10, the second floor apartment has the smaller one. Still very nice. [Above] The new covered patio area in front of #12, our little “over flow” room, will have a table and chairs for the use of #12 so they have a little more room to spread out. The table and chairs have yet to be purchased.
In the back building we have installed new kitchen cabinets and granite counter tops. #10 and #11, the second and third floor apartments in the back building now have L shaped kitchen counters.
All the walls have been repainted a soft off-white and new accent color walls in the kitchens and bedrooms. New curtains are being ordered. The sofas have all been recovered (again! We have to do it every 3 or 4 years.) Some new art on the walls. As the summer and fall roll along we hope to find more art.
Michael Maurus, who has done the photography for most of our website, will be taking new photos in August of all the remodeling. Stay tuned!
We took our staff to the new theme park, Xoximilco, that is being developed by Xcaret on the highway driving north to Cancun. Jin and his two girls, Mildred and Valeria, Freddy, Nancy, Cesar and his wife Fabi and daughter Evelyn, all came along.
It was a lot of fun. A dinner cruise weaving our way along a river through the old stone quarry that they are turning into a theme park. Each boat had the name of one of the states in Mexico.
The dinner was a tasty sampling of food from all over Mexico. For the drinkers (which we don’t have many of in our group) the tequila was flowing freely.
There were boats along the way with musicians playing music from states all over Mexico. They had us dancing, singing and playing games by the end of the night. We had a great time!
On a tour to a cenote 90 minutes inland we stumbled across a wonderful artist, Javier Cachon, located in Valladolid Nuevo, pone 998-244-4490. Two paintings with Mayan themes, one in the hallway at the Villa at Buena Vida and one in the living room at Casa Mulder. Another colorful canvas will hang in the master bedroom at the Villa and another in apartment #10 at Abbey del Sol.Above is the TV/Living Room at Casa Mulder and below the second sofa in the hallway at the Villa in La Buena Vida