Like many people in town Abbey del Sol began renovations and updating on 5 of our properties:
1. Casa Ricardo – new exterior paint and minor concrete repairs
2. Casa Anita – A second bathroom is being added off the main bedroom with a door to the pool area as well as into the bedroom. This will be done by June 15.
3. Casa Juanita – A pool in the front, an expanded patio in the back and a fourth apartment in the right corner of the property. Photos will be available later in August.
4. Buena Vida Suites – the old, rusty iron railing on the roof top patio has been replaced with a concrete and PVC combo that looks great. Due to the rain it hasn’t been painted yet but soon. The PVC will be painted to look like wood similar to what you see on the left side of the photo.
5. Abbey del Sol 2 – Huge new laundry and storage room on the second floor. Now that the old Abbey del Sol 1 has new owners and is renamed La Buena Vida Suites we have separated our laundry and storage process. We are putting a large, metal sun light fixture on the big blank wall. The third floor apartment, #11, now has the large patio and #10, the second floor apartment has the smaller one. Still very nice. [Above] The new covered patio area in front of #12, our little “over flow” room, will have a table and chairs for the use of #12 so they have a little more room to spread out. The table and chairs have yet to be purchased.
In the back building we have installed new kitchen cabinets and granite counter tops. #10 and #11, the second and third floor apartments in the back building now have L shaped kitchen counters.
All the walls have been repainted a soft off-white and new accent color walls in the kitchens and bedrooms. New curtains are being ordered. The sofas have all been recovered (again! We have to do it every 3 or 4 years.) Some new art on the walls. As the summer and fall roll along we hope to find more art.
Michael Maurus, who has done the photography for most of our website, will be taking new photos in August of all the remodeling. Stay tuned!
We took our staff to the new theme park, Xoximilco, that is being developed by Xcaret on the highway driving north to Cancun. Jin and his two girls, Mildred and Valeria, Freddy, Nancy, Cesar and his wife Fabi and daughter Evelyn, all came along.
It was a lot of fun. A dinner cruise weaving our way along a river through the old stone quarry that they are turning into a theme park. Each boat had the name of one of the states in Mexico.
The dinner was a tasty sampling of food from all over Mexico. For the drinkers (which we don’t have many of in our group) the tequila was flowing freely.
There were boats along the way with musicians playing music from states all over Mexico. They had us dancing, singing and playing games by the end of the night. We had a great time!
On a tour to a cenote 90 minutes inland we stumbled across a wonderful artist, Javier Cachon, located in Valladolid Nuevo, pone 998-244-4490. Two paintings with Mayan themes, one in the hallway at the Villa at Buena Vida and one in the living room at Casa Mulder. Another colorful canvas will hang in the master bedroom at the Villa and another in apartment #10 at Abbey del Sol.Above is the TV/Living Room at Casa Mulder and below the second sofa in the hallway at the Villa in La Buena Vida
Greg, Jim and Mimi are hanging out enjoying the apartment #9 private patio on a sweet day in March 2012. Jim, Greg and his wife Julie (Mimi couldn’t make it this year) are back again this year for their fifth time at Abbey del Sol. Abby and Tiff first met Greg and Julie here in Puerto Morelos even though they are from Stillwater, MN, a suburb of the Twin Cities were they are from. You meet the greatest people at Abbey del Sol!
Ken and Audrey Ohlsson, the new owners of what was formally called Abbey del Sol One have decided on a new name for their property – La Buena Vida Suites (The Good Life.) What used to be Abbey del Sol Two, where the office is, is now simply Abbey del Sol. Apartment numbering maybe a little confusing because #1 through #4 are still at La Buena Vida Suites and the Abbey del Sol property numbers start at #5, ending at #12. #4 is now The Villa. We’ve decided to keep the numbering the same for now since we have so many return guests who are used to staying in a certain apartment number.
YOGA ON THE ROOF WITH KAREN – Stretch yoga for everyone starting Tuesday, Dec 24, then every Tues, Thurs and Sat, 8:15 to 9:15. We have mats. $10usd or $100p. The roof of Abbey del Sol Two (where the office is.) Day before notice if you will be attending would be appreciated. Come and enjoy some exercise, in the shade, enjoying the breeze.
For all of you regular mid March guests at Abbey Two you may recognize these two familiar faces, Ken and Audrey Ohlsson from White Rock, BC whom we have affectionately referred to as the Crazy Canuks in previous posts. We are proud to announce a new business partnership between Tiff and Abby and Ken and Audrey now that the Ohlsson’s are the happy new owners of the Abbey del Sol One property. Not to worry everyone, our business won’t change except to get better and better. Ken brings his very successful business experience to the table and Audrey is the internet marketing wiz. Look to her Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other online sources for more about the business as it grows. Tiff and I are so pleased; we couldn’t have found a better couple to add to the family. Ken and Audrey really understand the “Home” team spirit of our business. Here is to a great future for Abbey del Sol!
And who would have thought that the fun and fabulous group that was with us beginning in March of 2009 would be the joining our business today. You just never know what the future has in store so treat every day like St Patty’s Day on the beach:
Come and enjoy a delicious dinner, either Christmas Eve or Day, at our manager’s family’s restaurant. Please make a reservation.